Dale Appleton has not received any gifts yet
Well that was was simple enough. I spent a couple of hours today welding the end caps and the bay.
Watched the videos a few times,dry assembled, then glued up.
The end cap weld job looks a bit dodgy. The waterproofing test is going to show just how bad a job I did!
Posted on January 19, 2013 at 5:22am — 2 Comments
Well, here is my attempt. The first pieces I glued up where the three handle components. I ended up with them being slightly misaligned. A bit of filing with the mulitool, and the handle sat flat on the plate. All the other pieces glued up fine, I got used to the flow of the glue, and the time it took for the solvent to evaporate.
Rather helpfully it is only 38C in the shade today, so all is going well.
Posted on January 16, 2013 at 10:13pm
I began by welding up the interior assembly. I watched the videos a couple of times, then duplicated the workflow using the dry components. I tried an 18G syringe to start the first join. Glue shot out all over the place. Needle too large!
Swapping down to a 22G, and snipping off the point with my multitool worked just fine. Glued up the assembly with no problems at all. (apart from blemishes, finger prints and glue runs)
The syringe would have less fine control than a bottle.…Continue
Posted on January 16, 2013 at 9:59pm
This is the glue I used. In-viscous fluid, wicks just the glues in the video. No MSDS,
I baulked at paying $18 AUD for a needle bottle applicator, instead I chopped down a syringe and used it as an applicator. Worked fine. My hands are not quite steady enough for precision work. (Oh look at the time, I need…Continue
Posted on January 16, 2013 at 9:30pm